Senior Legal Counsel, IGM Client and Regulatory Affairs — Mackenzie Investments
IGM Financial Inc. is one of Canada's premier personal financial services companies, and one of the country's largest managers and distributors of investment funds and other managed asset products, with over $156 billion in total assets under management as of March 31, 2018. Its activities are carried out principally through Investors Group Inc., Mackenzie Investments and Investment Planning Counsel Inc.
As part of Power Financial Corporation, we are focused on the long-term strength and stability of our companies. We recognize these as core responsibilities to our clients and shareholders as we adapt and lead in an ever-changing world.
Mackenzie Investments is currently recruiting for the position of Senior Legal Counsel in the Client and Regulatory Affairs Office, IGM Financial Inc. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, you will play a critical internal and external role for all IGM companies interpreting and advising on new and significant regulatory initiatives and trends, being a strong advocate for IGM on regulatory matters and a spokesperson on regulatory issues and IGM views with stakeholders. You will also provide broad-based legal and regulatory advice and support to the business leaders of the IGM companies, working collaboratively with a group of legal professionals. The Senior Legal Counsel, Client and Regulatory Affairs champions a client-first approach and vision across all business functions, including corporate initiatives, business planning and strategy.
As a valued member of the IGM Financial team your core responsibilities will include:
Key External Accountabilities
- Be a key liaison and work proactively with governments, regulators and other stakeholders
- Be a spokesperson on regulatory issues and IGM views, building a strong voice and thought leadership for IGM
- Analyse regulatory developments and take the lead role in IGM submissions in partnership with the appropriate companies and business areas providing direction on strategy and messaging
Key Internal Accountabilities
- Provide regulatory and legal guidance broadly to product, distribution and client services operations as well as for new business lines, acquisitions and growth partnerships
- Stay on top of regulatory initiatives and trends in Canada and globally to inform IGM strategy and corporate initiatives
- Support the bi-monthly IGM-wide Regulatory Initiatives Committee
- Travel within Canada for internal and external speaking events, as well as for meetings with governments, regulators and other stakeholders is required (approximately 30%)
The successful candidate will possess the following qualities and experience:
- Passionate about championing a client-first approach across the IGM companies
- 5-8 years of experience as a lawyer with mutual fund, securities law and/or regulatory experience
- A collaborative and creative thinker
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a deadline-oriented and dynamic, changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex/novel issues and craft business oriented solutions
- Proven ability to work independently to proactively bring projects to completion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong attention to detail
- Ease with public speaking and advocacy
If you are interested in applying for this position please direct applications on-line using the “apply for this job” icon located at the bottom or to the left of the posting. If you would like to refer someone for the position please email the posting using the “email this job” option and have your referral indicate that they were referred by you when completing the application. All resumes should be received by May 10, 2018. If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Human Resources. Please record your extension number on your resume and cover letter. The grade for this position is GRADE 14. The referral bonus level for this position is 3.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Mackenzie Investments; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mackenzie Investments offers an exciting and challenging work environment, a competitive base salary, performance-based bonuses, excellent benefits, recognition for your accomplishments, and opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Mackenzie Investments is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.